Phone lines cut to Gauteng hospitals, clinics due to non-payment

Loading player...
Several hospitals and clinics in Gauteng have activated alternative numbers after Telkom cut phone lines due to unpaid bills. Gauteng Health says the delayed payments were due to several discrepancies where Telkom would send invoices with descriptions of facilities that do not belong to the department. The telecommunications provider disconnected phone lines due to what is claimed to be outstanding payments by the Gauteng Health Department. A total of 83 clinics and 32 hospitals were affected. The department says R4 million was paid last week, with another R3.4 million released this week. Phemelo speaks to Gauteng Health Spokesperson, Motalatale Modiba.
27 Feb 2024 2PM English South Africa Education · Careers

Other recent episodes

HEALTH FEATURE: Reproductive Health Month – Fertility realities

Reproductive Health Month continues - and this week, we tackle fertility later in life. From IVF and donor eggs to the emotional, psychological and financial toll of treatment, fertility specialist and gynaecologist Dr Tebogo Deo breaks down what individuals and couples need to know when trying to conceive at a…
16 Feb 3PM 43 min

Munich moments: What now for Greenland and Ukraine?

The Munich Security Conference has long been the stage for world-shifting speeches - and this year was no exception. From historic clashes between NATO allies in 2003, to Vladimir Putin’s ominous 2007 address, to a fiery attack on European nations by JD Vance in 2025, Munich has repeatedly signalled turning…
16 Feb 3PM 18 min

ActionSA pushes asylum cap: Only 10,000 applications a year

ActionSA is making waves in the immigration debate, proposing a strict annual cap of just 10,000 new asylum seeker applications. The proposal forms part of the party’s submission on the revised White Paper on Citizenship, Immigration and Refugee Protection, published for public comment by the Department of Home Affairs in…
16 Feb 3PM 14 min

Gold rush chaos: Springs residents dig up kraal in treasure hunt frenzy

It sounds like a story from the gold rush era - but it’s unfolding right now in Springs. Hundreds of residents from the Gugulethu section’s Payneville informal settlement have descended on a local kraal, armed with spades and hope, after rumours spread that gold particles were discovered in the soil…
16 Feb 3PM 9 min

Justice for Isaac: Bail bid abandoned as fourth suspect steps forward

The courtroom drama continues in the murder of 22-year-old Bolt driver Isaac Satlat, whose tragic hijacking was captured on his own dashcam. Three of the accused - Dikeledi Mphela, Goitseone Machidi and McClaren Mushwana - appeared in the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court on Monday and abruptly abandoned their bail application, choosing…
16 Feb 2PM 8 min