Lives at Risk: Court Orders Gauteng Health to Treat Cancer Patients Now

Loading player...
In a major victory for civil society and cancer patients, the Johannesburg High Court has ordered the Gauteng Department of Health to immediately provide radiation treatment, despite the department’s pending appeal. Advocacy groups Section27 and the Cancer Alliance brought an urgent application, arguing that delays have already led to deaths and worsening illness for many patients. The judge agreed, saying the backlog violates patients' constitutional rights and causes "irreversible and permanent harm." Some patients had died waiting, while others became too sick to qualify for treatment. The department had earlier appealed a March ruling that found their failure to address the crisis was unconstitutional, but the latest ruling makes that order immediately enforceable. The court has now demanded treatment be given urgently, with updates provided every 45 days. Phemelo speaks to Salome Meyer Director at Cancer Alliance about what this ruling means for patients and what needs to happen next.
21 Aug 2025 4PM English South Africa Education · Careers

Other recent episodes

SADC Summit focuses on migration, security and jobs

SADC leaders are meeting in Durban for the 46th Ordinary Summit, with migration, regional security, economic development and job creation high on the agenda. President Cyril Ramaphosa is set to take over as chair of the 16-member bloc, with South Africa leading SADC for the next year. Ramaphosa says migration…
17 Aug 3PM 14 min

Iran warns of possible offensive action against US

Iran is signalling it could take a more offensive approach in its conflict with the United States as a ceasefire agreement expires. The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps says it is ready to respond to any US ground operations, with officials warning of “strategic surprises”. Tensions remain high over the Strait…
17 Aug 3PM 16 min

State allowed to reopen Usindiso fire case

The state has been given the go-ahead to reopen its case against Sithembiso Lawrence Mdlalose, accused of setting fire to the Usindiso building in Johannesburg, where 76 people died in August 2023. The move follows discrepancies over the identities of some of the victims. Mdlalose faces 76 murder charges, as…
17 Aug 2PM 9 min

Court orders Manamela to reinstate NSFAS board

The High Court has ordered Higher Education Minister Buti Manamela to reinstate the NSFAS board, while suspending the appointment of Professor Sizwe Mathebula as administrator. The court questioned the minister’s failure to consult the board and raised concerns about Mathebula’s suitability to oversee billions in public funds, citing adverse findings…
17 Aug 2PM 10 min

Matlala details R15m loan to service SAPS contract

Alleged tender kingpin Vusimusi “Cat” Matlala has told the Madlanga Commission he borrowed R15 million from North West businessman Suleman Carrim to service his Medicare 24 contract with the SAPS. Matlala’s testimony has been postponed to next Monday, pending an affidavit on issues surrounding the contract. He declined to answer…
17 Aug 2PM 5 min